Main Article Content
Unique merchandises for tourists are often closely linked with local products. Street food is to provide food and beverage for the daily life of local people that reflects the way of life and local culture, then became a tourist attraction. Bangkok became one of the best city districts for street food in the world. The purpose of this study was to study the key perceived value components in the context of street food in Bangkok, Thailand. The perceived value variables of food and beverage service in general from the previous studies were analyzed by exploratory factor analysis (EFA) with Statistical analysis software program. The data were collected with a five-point rating scale questionnaire from 390 international tourists who ate street food in three famous areas of street food in Bangkok (include: Khao-san Road, Yaowarat and Chatuchak Market). The analyzed of EFA found that the 26 perceived value variables of food and beverage service in general can be categorized into four factors: Functional value (FV), Image value (IV), Emotional value (EV) and Trust value (TV) by cutting out of 5 variables because the factor loading is less than 0.5.
Article Screening Policy
- All research and academic articles to be published must be considered and screened by two peer reviews in the relevant field / article.
- All articles, texts, illustrations and tables published in the journal are the personal opinions of the authors. Editors don't always have to agree. And no responsibility whatsoever is the sole responsibility of the author.
- The articles to be published must never be published. Where did you first publish? And not in the consideration of other journals If the audit found that there has been a duplicate publication It is the sole responsibility of the author.
- Any article that the reader sees as being plagiarized or impersonated without reference. Or mislead the work of the author Please let the journal editor know it will be your greatest blessing.
2. Ajayi, O.A. & Oluwoye, J.O. “Sustainable street vended foods and food safety: a conceptual framework”. International Journal of Food Safety, Nutrition and Public Health, (2015). 5, 3-4.
3. Baker, J., Grewal, D. & Parasuraman, A. “The influence of the store environment on quality inferences and store image.” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. (1994). 22 : 328-39.
4. Chang, T. Z., & Wildt, A. “Price, product information and purchase intention: An empirical study.” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. (1994). 22, 1 : 16–27.
5. Chen, P. & Hu, H. “How determinant attributes of service quality influence customer perceived value an empirical investigation of the Australian coffee outlet industry.” International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. (2010). 22, 4 : 535-551.
6. CNN International, (2013). Asia's 10 greatest street food cities. (online). Retrieved from:
Accessed date: July24 2017.
7. CNN travel, (2017). Best 23 cities for street food from Miami to Tokyo. (online).
Retrieved from: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/best-cities-street-food/index.html. Accessed date: July24 2018.
8. Cochran, W. G. Sampling Techniques. Third Edition, New York: John Wiley & Sons, (1977).
9. Comrey, A. L., & Lee, H. B. A first course in factor analysis. Hillsdale, New Jersey: Erlbaum Associate, (1992).
10. Consumers International. (n.d.). What is street food?. (online). Retrieved from: http://streetfood.org/index.
php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=48. Accessed date: Feb 4, 2015.
11. D’Antuono, L.P. (2012). Street foods basic definitions and fact. Traditional food International-TFI 2012 street food seminar session. Cesena, Italy.
12. Department of City Planning (Bangkok Metropolitan). (2012). Hawker-Stalls in Bangkok, 2012. (online). Retrieved from: http://cpd.bangkok.go.th:90/web2/strategy/DATA54_55/15UNM.pdf.
Accessed date: Feb 4, 2015.
13. Department of Tourism. (2017). Statistics search. (online). Retrieved from: http://22.214.171.124:8090/dotr/
statistic_compare.php?year%5B%5D=2016&year%5B%5D=2015&year%5B%5D=2014&tourist_group=foreigners&province%5B%5D=&province. Accessed date: July24 2018.
14. Dichter, E. “What is in an Image?” Journal of Consumer Marketing. (1985). 2 : 39-52.
15. Esper, F.S. and Rateike, J.A. “Tourism Destination Image and Motivations: The Spanish Perspective of Mexico”. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, (Feb 2010). 27, 4 : 349-360.
16. Field, A. Discovering Statistics using SPSS for Windows. London – Thousand Oaks – New Delhi: Sage publications, (2000).
17. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). (1989). Street foods. (Online). Retrieved from: http://www.fao.org/fcit/food-processing/street-foods/en/.
Accessed date: June15 2017.
18. Gallarza, M. G., & Saura, I. G. “Value dimensions, perceived value, satisfaction and loyalty: An investigation of university students’ travel behavior”. Tourism Management, (Jun 2006). 27, 3 : 437–452.
19. Garbarino, E. & Johnson, M.S. “The Different Roles of Satisfaction, Trust, and Commitment in Customer Relationships”. Journal of Marketing. (1999). 63, 2 (April) : 70-87.
20. Grönroos, C. “Value-driven relational marketing: from products to resources and competencies.” Journal of Marketing Management. (1997). 13, 5 : 407–420.
21. Han, H.S., & Ryu, K. “The roles of the physical environment, price perception, and customer satisfaction in determining customer loyalty in the family restaurant industry.” Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research. (2009). 33, 4 : 487-510.
22. Han, H. and Ryu, K. “Moderating role of personal characteristics in forming restaurant customers’ behavioral intentions – an upscale restaurant setting.”
Journal of Hospitality & Leisure Marketing. (2007). 15, 4 : 25-54.
23. Henderson, J.C. Yun, O.S. Poon, P. Biwei, X. “Hawker centres as tourist attractions:
The case of Singapore”. International Journal of Hospitality Management, (Sep 2012). 31 : 849– 855.
24. Hull, R. B. “Mood as a Product of Leisure: Causes and Consequences.” Journal of Leisure Research. (1990). 22, 2 : 99-111.
25. Hyun, S.S. “Creating a model of customer equity for chain restaurant brand formation.” International Journal of Hospitality Management. (2009). 28 : 529–539.
26. Hyun, S.S. Kim, W. & Lee, M.J. “The impact of advertising on patrons’ emotional responses, perceived value, and behavioral intentions in the chain restaurant industry:
The moderating role of advertising-induced arousal.” International Journal of Hospitality Management. (2011). 30 : 689–700.
27. Joon-Wuk Kwun, D. “Effects of campus foodservice attributes on perceived value, satisfaction, and consumer attitude: A gender-difference approach.” International Journal of Hospitality Management. (2011). 30 : 252-261.
28. Joung, H.W. Choi, E.K. and Wang,E. “Effects of Perceived Quality and Perceived Value of Campus Foodservice on Customer Satisfaction: Moderating Role of Gender.”
Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality & Tourism. (2016) 17, 2 : 101-113.
29. Kaiser, H. F. “An Index of Factorial Simplicity.” Psychometrika. (1974). 39 : 31-36.
30. Kim, Y.G. and Eves, A. “Construction and validation of a scale to measure tourist motivation to consume local food”. Tourism Management, (Jan 2012). 33. 1458-1467.
31. Kraig, B. and Sen, C.T. Street food around the world: an encyclopedia of food and culture. USA: ABC-CLIO, LLC., (2013).
32. Lai, F., Griffin, M. & Babin, B.J. “How quality, value, image, and satisfaction create loyalty at a Chinese telecom.” Journal of Business Research. (2009). 62, 10 : 980-6.
33. Lawson, F., and Baud-Bovy, M. Tourism and Recreational Development. London: Architectural Press, (1977).
34. Lee, K. Scott, N. & Packer, J. “The fits-like-a-glove model and destination activities of slow food members”. Current Issues in Tourism, (2015). 18, 3 : 286-290.
35. Liu, Y., & Jang, S. “The effects of dining atmospherics: An extended Mehrabian-Russell model.” International Journal of Hospitality Management. (2009). 28, 4 : 494-503.
36. Mitchell, V.W. & Greatorex, M. “Risk perception and reduction in the purchase of consumer services.” The service Industry Journal. (Oct. 1993). 13, 4 : 179-200.
37. Moorman, C., Deshpande, R., & Zaltman, G. “Factors Affecting Trust in Marketing Research Relationships.” Journal of Marketing. (1993). 57 (January) : 81–101.
38. Morgan, R.M., Hunt, S.D. “The commitment-trust theory of relationship marketing.”
Journal of Marketing. (1994). 58 : 20–38.
39. Mosupye, F.M. & Holy, A. “Microbiological hazard identification and exposure assessment of street food vending in Johannesburg, South Africa”. International Journal of Food Microbiology, (Feb 2000). 61 : 137–145.
40. Namkung, Y. & Jang, S. “Are highly satisfied restaurant customers really different? A quality perception perspective.” International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. (2008). 20, 2 : 142–155.
41. National Statistical Office (Thailand). (2012). Thailand-everyone wants to travel. (online). Retrieved from:http://service.nso.go.th/nso/nsopublish/citizen/news/news_travel.jsp. Accessed date: September 10, 2017.
42. Nguyen, N. Anh Vu, P. Hoai Phan, T.T. and Khanh Cao, T. “An Exploratory Investigation into Customer Perceived Value of Food Products in Vietnam.” International Business Research. (Oct. 2015). 8,12.
43. Oxenfeldt, A.R. “Developing a Favorable Price-Quality Image.” Journal of Retailing. (1974-75). 50,4:8-14,115.
44. Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. “A conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research.” Journal of Marketing. (1985). 49 : 41-50.
45. Pivato, S. Misani, N. & Tencati, A. “The impact of corporate social responsibility on consumer trust: The case of organic food.” Business Ethics: A European Review. (2008). 17, 1 : 3 – 12.
46. Pizam, A. & Sussmann, S. “Does nationality affect tourist behavior?” Annals of Tourism Research. (1995). 22, 4 : 901–917.
47. Petrick, J. F. “The roles of quality, value, and satisfaction in predicting cruise passengers’ behavioral intentions.” Journal of Travel Research. (2004). 42, 4 : 397-407.
48. Prendergast, G., Man, H.W. “The influence of store image on store loyalty in Hong Kong’s quick service restaurant industry.” Journal of Foodservice Business Research. (2002). 5,1 : 45–59.
49 Qin, H. Prybutok, V. R “Service quality, customer satisfaction, and behavioral intentions in fast‐food restaurants.” International Journal of Quality and Service Sciences. (2009). 1, 1 : 78-95.
50. Qin, H. Prybutok, V. R “Determinants of Customer-Perceived Service Quality in Fast-Food Restaurants and Their Relationship to Customer Satisfaction and Behavioral Intentions.” The Quality Management Journal; Milwaukee. (2008). 15, 2 : 35-50.
51. Qin, H. Prybutok, V.R. Zhao, Q. “Perceived service quality in fast‐food restaurants: empirical evidence from China.” International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management. (2010). 27, 4 : 424-437.
52. Rajagopal. “Street markets influencing urban consumer behavior in Mexico”. Latin America Business Review. (Jun 2010). 11, 2 : 77-110.
53. Remmington, M. and Yuksel, A. “Tourist satisfaction and food service experience: results of an empirical investigation.” Anatolia. (1998). 9, 1 : 37-57.
54. Ryu, K. and Han, H. “Influence of the quality of food, service, and physical environment on customer satisfaction in quick-casual restaurants: moderating role of perceived price.” Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research. (2010). 34, 3 : 310-29.
55. Ryu. K. Han, H. Kim. T. “The relationships among overall quick-casual restaurant image, perceived value, customer satisfaction, and behavioral intentions” International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, (Sep 2008). 27, 3 : 459-469.
56. Ryu, K. Lee, H. Kim, W.G. “The influence of the quality of the physical environment, food, and service on restaurant image, customer perceived value, customer satisfaction, and behavioral intentions.” International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. (2012). 24, 2 : 200-223
57 Simopoulos, A., P., & Bhat, R., V. Street Foods. Basel : World review of Nutrition and Dietetics, (2000).
58. Sheth, J.N., Newman II, B., Gross, B.L. “Why we buy what we buy: a theory of consumption values.” Journal of Business Research. (1991). 22 : 159–170.
59. Spreng, R.A., MacKenzie, S.B. & Olshavsky, R.W. “A Reexamination of the Determinants of Consumer Satisfaction.” Journal of Marketing. (1996). 60 : 15-32.
60. Suvarnabhumiairport. (2017). Top place to visit in Bangkok. (online). Retrieved from: http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/th/popular-destinations/1898/10. Accessed date:
July 3, 2017.
61. TAT News. (2017). Bangkok ranked World’s Most Visited City: 2016 MasterCard Global Destination Cities Index. (Online). Retrieved from: http://www.tatnews.org/bangkok-ranked-worlds-most-visited-city-2016-mastercard-global-destination-cities-index/. Accessed date: June 15 2017.
62 Thairath online. (2016). Thailand hot!, punched clear Why Bangkok is the first foreign visit in the world. (online). Retrieved from: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/731858. Accessed date: September 25, 2016.
63. Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). (2014a). Thai street food festival 2014, Thai delicacy reveals in the land of smiles: where to eat street food in Thailand, Bangkok. (Online). Retrieved from: http://amazingthaifood.tourismthailand.org/place-to-eat/.
Accessed date: June 15 2017.
64. Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Newsroom. (2014b). 2015 Discover Thainess at WTM 2014. (Online). Retrieved from: http://www.tatnews.org/2015-discover-thainess-at-wtm-2014/. Accessed date: June 15 2017.
65. Travel & Leisure magazine. (2013). World's Best Cities 2012. (Online). Retrieved from: http://www.traveland
leisure.com/slideshows/worlds-best-cities-2012?iid=sr-link5. Accessed date:
June 15 2017.
66. World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). (2017). UNWTO Tourism Highlights 2016 Edition. (Online). Retrieve
Accessed date: June 9 2017.
67. World Tourism Organization(UNWTO). (2012). Global Report on Food Tourism. (Online). Retrieved from: https://www.e-unwto.org/doi/pdf/10.18111/9789284414819.1. Accessed date: June9 2017.
68. Wu, H.C. “An Empirical Study of the Effects of Service Quality, Perceived Value, Corporate Image, and Customer Satisfaction on Behavioral Intentions in the Taiwan Quick Service Restaurant Industry.” Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality & Tourism. (2013). 14, 4 :364-390.
69. Zeithaml, V. A. “Consumer perceptions of price, quality, and value: A means–end model and synthesis of evidence.” Journal of Marketing. (1988). 52, 3 : 2–22.