Main Article Content
The aim of this research is to examine resident’s attitudes toward social impacts on tourism development and to explore their support on tourism development in the area. Lipe island in Satun Province has been selected for this study. The questionnaire was used as an instrument to collect data from 384 samples with were the residents who live on Lipe island. Both descriptive and inferential statistics were used; which consists of percentage, mean, standard deviation and multiple regression analysis.
The results found that the overall of resident’s attitudes toward social positive impacts of tourism development were agreed (Mean = 3.93) and overall of resident’s attitudes toward social negative impacts of tourism development were agreed (Mean = 3.51). The finding also revealed that both resident with a positive and negative social impact attitude support the development of tourism on Lipe island.
Article Screening Policy
- All research and academic articles to be published must be considered and screened by two peer reviews in the relevant field / article.
- All articles, texts, illustrations and tables published in the journal are the personal opinions of the authors. Editors don't always have to agree. And no responsibility whatsoever is the sole responsibility of the author.
- The articles to be published must never be published. Where did you first publish? And not in the consideration of other journals If the audit found that there has been a duplicate publication It is the sole responsibility of the author.
- Any article that the reader sees as being plagiarized or impersonated without reference. Or mislead the work of the author Please let the journal editor know it will be your greatest blessing.
2. ASTV MGR. (2014). Travel Trail “Trash Hero Thailand” Conqueror of Koh Lipe. Retrieved from http://www.manager.co.th/FeelGood/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9570000123474 on 8th April 2015. (in Thai)
3. Beeton, S. (2006). Community development through tourism. Coolingwood, Australia: Landlinks
4. Bjorklund, E. M., & Philbrick, A. K. (1972). Spatial configurations of mental process. London.
5. Butler, R. W. (1974). “Tourism as an agent of social change.” Annals of Tourism Research, 2, 100–111.
6. Choi, H. C., & Murray, I. (2010). Resident attitudes toward sustainable community tourism. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 18(4), 575–594.
7. Deery, M., Jago, L., & Fredline, L. (2012). Rethinking social impacts of tourism research:
A new research agenda. Tourism Management, 33(2012).
8. Dyer, P., Gursoy, D., Sharma, B., & Carter, J. (2007). Structural modelling of resident perceptions of tourism and associated development on the Sunshine Coast. Australia. Tourism Management, 28(2), 409–422.
9. E-library My First Info. (2015). Search News Lipe. Retrieved from http://www.myfirstinfo.com/thaidata/news/default.aspx on 8th April 2015. (in Thai)
10. Griffin, J. (2013). Local Residents’ Responses to Tourism as a Framework to Understand Hosts’ Responses to Short-Term Missions. The Asbury Journal, 68(2), 134–159.
11. Gursoy, D., Chi, C. G., & Dyer, P. (2010). Locals’ Attitudes toward Mass and Alternative Tourism: The Case of Sunshine Coast, Australia. Journal of Travel Research, 49(3), 381–394.
12. Haralambopoulos, N., & Pizam, A. (1996). Perceived Impacts of Tourism: The Case of Samos. Annals of Tourism Research, 23(3), 503–526.
13. Ko, D. W., & Stewart, W. P. (2002). A structural equation model of residents’ attitudes for tourism development. Tourism Management, 23(5), 521–530.
14. Lee, T. H. (2013). Influence analysis of community resident support for sustainable tourism development. Tourism Management, 34, 37–46.
15. Long, P. H., & Kayat, K. (2011). Residents’ perceptions of tourism impact and their support for tourism development: the case study of Cuc Phuong National Park, Ninh Binh province, Vietnam. European Journal of Tourism Research, 4(2), 123–146.
16. Maslow, A. H. (1954). Motivation and personality ([1st ed.].). New York: Harper.
17. Mcgehee, N. G., & Meares, A. C. (1998). A case study of three tourism-related craft marketing cooperatives in Appalachia: Contributions to community. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 6(1), 4–25.
18. MGR Online. (2014). Native teacher implore all sector focus on student more than island development. Retrieved from http://www.manager.co.th/south/ViewNews.aspx?
NewsID=9570000104160 on 8th April 2015. (in Thai)
19. Ministry of Tourism and Sports. (2011). The national development plan for tourism 2012-2016. Ministry of Tourism and Sports. (in Thai)
20. Ministry of Tourism and Sports. (2015). Thailand Tourism Strategy 2015-2017. Ministry of Tourism and Sports. (in Thai)
21. National Geographic. (2012). Best Trips 2012. Retrieved from http://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/best-trips-2012/ on 8th of April, 2016
22. Nunkoo, R., & So, K. K. F. (2016). Residents’ Support for Tourism: Testing Alternative Structural Models. Journal of Travel Research, 55(7), 847– 861.
23. Office of the Royal Development Projects Board. (2009). English Language Promotion Program on Koh Lipe. Retrieved from http://km.rdpb.go.th/Project/View/8425 on 8th April 2015. (in Thai)
24. Personal Social and Humanities Education Section Education Bureau. (2009). Manual on Module I Introduction to Tourism. Hongkong.
25. Planning and Budget Division. (2016). Development Strategies of Local Administration,
Satun Province (2018-2021). Satun Provincial Administrative Organization. (in Thai)
26. Pratkanis, A. R., Breckler, S. J., & Greenwald, A. G. (1989). Attitude Structure and Function. New Jersey: LAWRENCE ERIBAUM ASSOCIATES.
27. Prayag, G., Hosany, S., & Odeh, K. (2013). The Role of Tourists’ Emotional Experience and Satisfaction in Understanding Behavioral Intentions. Journal of Destination Marketing & Management. Retrieved from https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.
jdmm.2013.05.001i, 17.03.2014 on 8th of April, 2016
28. Postma A. and Schmuecker D., (2017) “Understanding and overcoming negative impacts of tourism in city destinations: conceptual model and strategic framework”,
Journal of Tourism Futures, 3(2), 144-156,
29. Rasoolimanesh, S. M., Jaafar, M., Kock, N., & Ramayah, T. (2015). A revised framework of social exchange theory to investigate the factors influencing residents’ perceptions.
Tourism Management Perspectives, 16(2015), 335–345.
30. Resource Management for Sustainability (3r) Foundation. (2017). The project was initiated by Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, Sustainable waste management in Koh Lipe. Retrieved from http://www.3rfoundation.or.th/th/SOCIAL ACTIVITIES/ PROJECT/ROYAL PROJECT/detail/185/ on 8th April 2015. (in Thai)
31. Spot cool Stuff. (2009). Thailand’s Best Islands. Retrieved from http://travel.spotcoolstuff.com/thailand/best-islands#lipe on 8th of April, 2016
32. Silpcharu, Thanin. (2014). Statistical analysis and research with SPSS and AMOS (15th edition). Bangkok: Business R&D.
33. Touropia. (2013). 10 Best Islands in Thailand. Retrieved from http://www.touropia.com/best-islands-in-thailand/ on 8th of April, 2016
34. Tovar, C., & Lockwood, M. (2008). Social impacts of tourism: an Australian regional case study. International Journal of Tourism Research, 10(4), 365–378.
35. United Nations Environment Programme, & World Tourism Organization. (2005). MAKING TOURISM MORE SUSTAINABLE: A GUIDE FOR POLICY MAKERS. Retrieved from http://www.unep.fr/shared/publications/pdf/DTIx0592xPA-TourismPolicyEN.pdf on 20th of May, 2016